WIX Archives

Good ideas - a few 'smarts'

Posted by JDK on Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:56:20 AM

In reply top Its time to declare WAR on the USN..... long post posted by Rob Rohr on Mon Mar 29, 2004 07:50:25 PM

Hi Rob, folks,
I agree with the intent. If you want to go into battle, always stack the odds in your favour. A couple of exposed ribs you chaps are currently showing:

1. Watch the spelling, grammar et al; if they (the navy, the law, the senators and most of all the press) can make you look like an illiterate hick they will. You aren't, but if quoted in the media, you want good English (even good American English - wince - will do. ;-))

2. Don't wave guns - that's one of the unjustified fears that the un-informed have about 'old warplanes' is that they carry guns and are flown by hicks - and from Mayne already!) And from my point of view, that is also a big turn off. If you want to go out in a blaze of glory, fine, count me out. I'd rather win. As Patton said: "Your job is to make the other S.O.B. die for his country."

3. As someone else has said here, be polite, and be reasonable. Let the other guy get red in the face and look a fool. No one supports someone (however justified) who seems 'out of control'.

4. As Scott's suggested, get the facts, have 'em avaliable, and then use them. Conversley, if you aren't 100% sure of the fact DON'T use it.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

PS - Actually it was the Royal Air Force that had the Fury (1930s flavour; but didn't get the Fury - 1940s flavour). The Royal Navy had the Sea Fury...

Follow Ups: