WIX Archives

Re: Something for Indiana Tony to ponder...

Posted by Indiana Tony on Tue Oct 02, 2001 10:42:05 AM

In reply top Something for Indiana Tony to ponder... posted by Paul McMillan on Tue Oct 02, 2001 05:14:24 AM

I always wondered about that Paul,

I do know, there are the remains of aircraft out thesre, but how many have since been turned into cooking pots, and shanty roofs, I have no idea, aluminum smelting, on a cottage industry basis, is very big business in that part of the world. Chad, is , well Chad really, blimmin dangerous, but if ur audacious enough.....see Robs Lamplough for details -lol. Sudan has it's fair share of wrecks too, and there are numerous eye-witness accounts from the area.

Takoradi, was a major depot, and the USAAF were also overhauling a great many airframes there. I posted a link earlier I think, re. the American company, with permission to clean up all nigeria's airports, of the 600+ derelict airframes that are there. As far as I'm aware, work hasn't started there yet, but will, in the near future. I am certainly aware of A(B)26's in Nigeria, but I do not know of anything more exotic. Certainly, if you follow the trail, past Fort Lamy, there are a great many areas, where an aircraft could come down, and never be recovered. Oil company surveys, are a good source for this info, as frequently, these aircraft are used as landmarks, except in shifting sand conditions.

I'm not sure, which RAF Command took responsibility, for getting aircraft up to "the blue" Was it Ferry Command, Fighter Command, or the WDAF?

References......
http://website.lineone.net/~katie-jones/wood7.htm

There are others, just have to do a bit of digging first

:0)

Follow Ups: