WIX Archives

Re: NASM Heinkel He 219 ....

Posted by Brian Fowler on Tue Oct 02, 2001 04:28:38 PM

In reply top Re: NASM Heinkel He 219 .... posted by Scott WRG Editor on Sun Sep 30, 2001 05:17:47 AM

More news, as quoted from a curator at Garber..

I asked him when the 219 would be on the floor and his response:

"Plans are a bit soft, but it should be around the end of the year. The outer wings for the Enola Gay are in getting polished out now, and they take up a lot of room. We've also got another couple of hanging planes (namely, the
Stinson L-5 and B?cker Bestmann) coming in for their turn at preservation work. After that, we will have room for the He 219. You can thank about three of us for pushing this one. I'm the one who came up with the idea of
substituting the He 219 wing for the Ju 388 fuselage. Original plan was for the two fuselages to go into Dulles. Seemed to me a wash workwise after I did all of the cleanup and review work on the Uhu. Of the two, I'd much rather see the whole 219 rather than two fuselages. And catch this. If we can sell this one at some point, picture the He 219, P-61, and Irving together. Night fighters from three of the major powers! TBD whether that will happen, but I don't plan to go away any time soon, so there's time to work the idea!"

Brian

Follow Ups: