WIX Archives

Re: Curtiss C-46's

Posted by Harm Jan Strating on Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:06:05 PM

In reply top Re: Curtiss C-46's posted by Scott WRG Editor on Mon Sep 24, 2001 04:39:32 AM

: : I wonder how much work and chemicals would be needed to
: ri
: : d those meat haulers of the stench of blood and other an
: im
: : al components? Besides, just think about all the corros
: io
: : n that through the years, these aircraft have suffered,
: p
: : recisely because of the cargo they carried?
: :
: : I stood once near a meat hauler, and I almost gagged to
: de
: : ath! :)
:
: I worked one summer washing out tractor-trailers with a po
: wer washer, the food haulers (produce and meat) as well as
: the milk trucks (milik already in containers) was one of
: the most horrific experiences I have ever had, at least un
: til I saw the raw footage from the WTC tragedy (which by f
: ar exceeds the former by a factor of a million, I'm still
: having nightmares about it).
:
: Scott

I had the chance to have a good look at the interior of several of the aircraft and in the cockpit of one of the C-46's as well. Before entering the aircraft and knowing the history of these meat-carriers I was expecting a terrible smell but to my surprise the only smell was the usual aroma of fuel, oil etc. As to corrosion, none of it visible in the aircraft interiors or from the outside though I had no oppotunity to look under the floor where corrosion would start first. It should be remembered that these aircraft are (were) operated on the Bolivian Altiplano which is at an altitude of round 4 kilometres. The climate at this altitude is very dry so well suited for corrosion-free long-time preservation of aircraft. To my eyes the aircraft were in a condition that makes them quite attractive to interested parties, although maintenance being carried out in the South American way would make it difficult to obtain a transport category CofA in the western world.

Someone interested in forming a group with the intention of bringing one to Europe?

Harm-Jan Strating

Follow Ups: