WIX Archives

Curtiss C-46's

Posted by Harm Jan Strating on Sun Sep 23, 2001 08:01:38 AM

Hi all,

I recently visited the airport of El Alto in la Paz, Bolivia. The field was well known in the past for the large number of piston engined transport aircraft being used to transport meat and other cargo from the Altiplano to the city of La Paz. Aftre the construction of a highway a couple of years ago the trade disappeared and most aircraft were left as and where they stood. Today the former cargo area makes for a very sorry sight with just 2 or 3 aircraft in airworthy condition (at least for South American standards)and several more just standing around.

The following aircraft were noted:

- 4 Curtiss C-46 Commando's; 2 in airworthy condition, 1 in good condition but without its engine's and 1 in good partly-restored condition without engine's but with at least 1 engine lying around;
- 1 Convair 240 in airworthy condition
- 2 DC-3's (just bare airframe's, 1 apparently abandoned halfway through restoration)
- several DC-6's and 7's in varying states of decay, none of them airworthy or even near that status.

I guess that the C-46's in particular might be of interest to warbird enthousiasts or museums and could be bought for very affordable prices. Anyone interested and wanting more information can contact me by e-mail off-board.

Harm-Jan Strating

Follow Ups: