WIX Archives

Re: Restoration remains......opinions?

Posted by Rob Mears on Thu Apr 29, 2004 03:16:43 PM

In reply top Restoration remains......opinions? posted by Stephen C on Thu Apr 29, 2004 06:56:48 AM

In my opinion, justifiable intrest in new matters like this are directed by the individuals who chooses to do something about it. I often wonder what the world of warbirds would be like if a very few guys like Ed Maloney, Bob Bean, Walter Soplata, etc had not acted on their eccentric but justifiable interest in gathering surplus military planes. Those acts took place in a time when the rest of the world would hardly have thought to pose the perspective or raise the question.

I think there's a genuine value to groups of 'remains' like this only as long as someone actually invests their interest & time in gathering and properly documenting the remains for what they are. Someone has to develop the idea into a point of interest. If some dude had a huge warehouse with cordoned off areas, each containing the earthly remains of a particular and identifiable warbird, I'd surely enjoy taking the time to check it out (Larry Webster's collection comes to mind as well). It might not be on par with a museum or the like, but at the very least it would offer an excellent moment for a passing enthusiasts curiosity.

Put it this way - If you were the only guy doing it, the value of the various remains would be directly equal to the amount of effort you spend gathering, arranging and defining those artifacts as the potential touchstones they may be. I think its a legitimate idea.

Follow Ups: