WIX Archives

Re: Flying Heritage Collection goes public!

Posted by Mikael Olrog on Wed Apr 21, 2004 01:54:14 PM

In reply top Flying Heritage Collection goes public! posted by Tim Savage on Tue Apr 20, 2004 02:48:44 PM

It would be interesting to hear the history of the Fi 103/V1, the Fi 103R Reichenberg, the V2 and the Me 163. These haven't been listed as preserved before as far as I know.

Judging from the text at the website it seems like the Fi 103 comes out of the Nordhausen caves. I've visited the place myself and did see substantial remains which would be possible to recreat to more or less complete examples of the missiles. Don't know if the Reiechenberg was built at Nordhausen or if it is a recreation from V1 parts.

The V2 could also come out of Nordhausen since several engines and other parts have been recovered from that place to.

All currently known Me 163 are with public museums so either this aircraft is an unknown example that has survived somehow or it is a recreation of remains etc, may be also from Nordhausen? Was the engine built there? The same type of engine have been for sale which could serve as a platform for a recreation.

The above is just my speculations until more information surfaces one day, and I have the patiens to wait... :-)

For the record, I think it is great that someone is pouring in the amount of money and energy that he is doing in recreating/restoring these aircraft so if they happen to not be "genuine" survivors I'm happy anyway!

/Mikael (who have payed far more than 20 USD to museum workers to be able to take photos in obscure museums in questionably democratic countries, this in addition to the official entry fee! Obviously no receipt was given for the "photo fee".)

: http://www.flyingheritage.com

Follow Ups: