WIX Archives

Re: Web useability & humble pie...

Posted by JDK on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:07:19 PM

In reply top I have to wonder...(an unsolicited opinion) posted by bdk on Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:26:25 AM

Hi bdk,
Fair post. I may stand corrected about the quality of restoration - I have a concern with hyperbole. IIRC, Kermit Week's P51C(?) was touted, with some justification, as one of the the best, for instance, only a few years ago. Which is 'best' isn't imporatant really, it's making sure it's to the desired standard. Sounds like I ignorantly missed the quality of the restorations. I take back my comment about 'bull', and apologise. Thanks for the correction!

In this 'league' best isn't important, just to be there is great.

If it's that good you don't need to make a show by talking about it. However, as I said, that's splitting hairs - it's great that it is going to be open, and that we are getting another great collection made public.

I agree with you overall. However, one point in your comments I take exceptyion to. As someone using an iMac with IE 4.5 in one location on a dialup connection (yes, I'd like better - it's not possible) the website has flaws - and it should be OK with that setup. You might like to note I also use PCs running more modern versions of IE at work, on a broadband connection, for the computer training centre I administer. I write, train and develop for web IT, I have spent several years working with, on and about good website practice.

I'm not saying the websites awful - The website's not bad, it's got faults, and I'm qualified to comment. So, please bdk, don't blame the user. The site should work on Netscape and any other reasonable platform. It's call 'useability'.

Sorry, rant over!

I'm looking forward to going when I can, and 20 bucks isn't a deterrent.
Cheers
James

Follow Ups: