WIX Archives

I have to wonder...(an unsolicited opinion)

Posted by bdk on Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:26:25 AM

In reply top Flying Heritage Collection goes public! posted by Tim Savage on Tue Apr 20, 2004 02:48:44 PM

First we hear endless complaints that the collection isn't open to the public. Then when it opens, there are a whole litany of complaints about the assertions of restoration quality, problems with the new website (Hmmm... How much do you want to bet the people with problems are using Netscape?), the entry fee, etc.

I saw the Mustang going together, and it is undoubtedly THE most expensive and authentic Mustang restoration ever done. As Tim stated, they had someone make wire to their own specifications, and they marked numbers on the wires using a wire marking machine just as was done at the factory. This is only an example of their attention to detail, the whole airplane was done this way- and the airplane was complete and flying when they started!

The entry fee at Planes of Fame is $8.95, Seattle Museum of Flight $11.00, LSFM $8.00, CAF Museum $9.00, San Diego Aerospace Museum $9.00. While FHC is more expensive at $20, they don't promote the museum as being a family destination, in fact they discourage it. If this is too expensive for you, don't go!

People don't tend to appreciate things that are free anyhow. The $20 fee will only entice the true enthusiasts. Are you telling me that an enthusiast from the UK wouldn't pay $9 more than the Seattle Museum of Flight to see this collection after coming all the way from the UK? Next time I'm in the Seattle area I will go and gladly pay the $20 to see the collection. Heck, it would cost nearly that in gasoline alone to get there from Seattle!

I guess that some people will never be happy. I'm surprised that nobody has complained that their facility is in Arlington, which really isn't close to any other attractions. Maybe they should move to Los Angeles so it would be more convenient for ME to go?

My recommendation is to cut the whining and vote with your feet. Don't go and maybe Paul Allen will consider the museum to not be worthwhile and the collection will go off of public display permanently. All this complaining does is discourage Paul Allen from displaying HIS PRIVATE PROPERTY for YOUR BENEFIT!

: http://www.flyingheritage.com

Follow Ups: