WIX Archives

Re: Hmmm... Smells of PR

Posted by JDK on Wed Apr 21, 2004 09:07:30 AM

In reply top Re: Why do they ALWAYS oversell these things? posted by Tim Savage on Wed Apr 21, 2004 08:52:13 AM

Thanks for that Tim.

That would be Irish Linen, not Cotton I presume, and we are agreeing not Ceconite? I'm not familiar with the details of Kermit Week's latest restorations, but I don't understand there's a lot to choose between them.

It's is commendable that the effort is taken, but I'm a bit wary of these kind of statements. (I'm a journalist. I've seen a LOT of hyperbole of this kind.)

The wire point is a good one, and a variant to what most (all?) flying restorations do. The NOS radio thing smells though. If they can't get NOS then what? No radio?

However, that's all picky. Hats off to a new adition to the top rank of air museums. It's good that there is competition at the top edge of restoration quality, not at the "let's get the star the right way up in the US insignia." level.

Cheers
James

PS Do they fly? I think I know the answer. When was the last know flights?

PPS Why the lack of serials / provenance on the website? Useful (albeit VERY dull) for keeping track of who what where. Saves embarrasment about replicas, rebuilds etc too.

: Actually, I believe that FHC is going farther than anyone
: else in their authenticity. From what I understand they ar
: e using cotton the control surfaces, have designed a new t
: ype of wire that is new wire covered with the fabric as in
: the war and they will not accept any "restored" radio ge
: ar, etc, it has to be NOS. I am not aware of any of the a
: bove you list that are going to that extreme. If I am inc
: orrect, please let me know.

Follow Ups: