WIX Archives

The cost of displaying

Posted by Anoymous Tulio on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:26:33 PM

In reply top Re: If you look at it... posted by Tim Savage on Wed Apr 21, 2004 04:57:32 PM

As an aficionado and passionate lover of old airplanes, I always look forward to visit a museum or a display that I haven't seen before.

In most instances, I must pay an admission fee to the facility in order to enjoy seeing what I like.

Some times, as in the case of Fantasy of Flight, I find that the price is very steep. Still, at the entrance to the museum, I still have the choice to walk away. No one is forcing me to pay what they ask. I pay, because I may never be coming back that way, because they have a display I have never seen, because I believe that I am somewhat supporting the restoration and preservation of the airplanes, and because that is the price to get near the machines I like so much.

The principles of private ownership basically follow the idea that one can do whatever one pleases -within certain legal limits- with one's property.

This is why it never ceases to amaze me, and some times makes me mad, when people get bent out of shape because the owner of an airplane did not paint it with the specific shade of lima-bean-green or pea-soup tones that the airplane wore operationally, or God forbid, if the markings are 3/4 of an inch forward from where they supposedly have to be.

If the owner of a private collection decides to display his treasure, it is up to those interested to pay or not.

Haven't you noticed that usually when someone wants to say what they really think about a theme, they rarely use their own name and resort to anonymous postings?

What the heck, I am wrong so many times a day, that I am kind of immunized against it, but come on! We should have the testicular fortitude to use our given names, to sign for our opinions.

Rant over.

Saludos, y Adios.

Anonimo.

Tulio

Follow Ups: