WIX Archives

Re: If you look at it...

Posted by Tim Savage on Wed Apr 21, 2004 04:57:32 PM

In reply top Re: If you look at it... posted by Rob Rohr on Wed Apr 21, 2004 04:42:02 PM

: First everyone lets get this straight he bought these airc
: raft for a Tax Shelter.
:
: He originally did'nt want to put them on display go back a
: nd read all the press release the FHC has put out.
:
: If you go to Kermits it will cost you $9.00 and if you hav
: e a coupon then only SIX. Kermit seems to have know proble
: m with money either but he's in it for the Love of the Air
: craft were as Mr. Allen is looking for a TAX WRITE OFF.
:
: He doesn't want to bring the aircraft to Airshows thats fi
: ne he has that right but he does'nt have to inflate the Wa
: rbird Market everytime he buys another Plane Why do you th
: ink their are still alot of High price aircraft out on the
: Market.
:
: If you all think I'm ranting then so-be it.
:
: I myself will not spend 20 Dollars to go to any Museum I d
: on't care how great it is.
:
: Cheers Rob

Tax Shelter. Good for him if it works, but I don't think you have a real good grasp of the tax laws if you think the measley amount (for him) that he is putting into warbirds makes much of a dent in his taxes. I am not sure this collection is even a 501c3 for tax purposes. Does anyone know for sure?

Why do you believe that warbird owners have an obligation to put their airplanes on display or take them to airshows? They don't. (Of course if it is a 501c3, it must have some education or public component).

As for the price of warbirds, he isn't responsible for driving the prices up. That happens because of supply and demand, not just from one person buying a few here and there. He certainly hasn't been responsible for driving the prices of Mustangs up. That has happened due to market forces. Anyway, he has purchased a lot of projects, and I am not sure that correlates to the prices you see for the flying airplanes.

As for Kermit's place, you are sadly mistaken if you believe that the admission is $9.00. Try 24.95. I know, because I was just there last week. His website also states this price. Oh, and by the way, Kermit has stated several times in articles that the attraction has to pay for itself or it won't open to the public forever. I firmly believe that Paul Allen and Kermit both love airplanes, but also have a good understanding of the value of money and profit and loss.

Follow Ups: