WIX Archives

Yet, it all has its place

Posted by Joe Scheil on Sun Apr 18, 2004 01:17:43 PM

In reply top The problem with aviation authors..... posted by Cees Broere on Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:13:35 AM

Cees,

This is a great topic! I agree that there are far too many conclusions derived from heresay in many books, and certainly many books have continued to misinform many about the ability of an aircraft in general. I really feel though that this is in the main good for us as it means that the true definitive histories on many types have not yet been written. (Spitfire not included) The Lancaster was a superlative aircraft in many ways, especially considering how the Lancaster came about. A redesign of a misdesign! As Graham Warner said regarding the Blenheim, history had been revised to omit the Blenhiem as there were none extant to use as examples. The Forgotten Bomber stands as a benchmark in the possibilities for current historians. I personally feel that a complete Mustang history has to be finished, though there are many good books out there. (Similar to the Morgan/Shacklady book)

Comparisons of the design from a technical point should be included, say useful load to useful load, but only to show evolution of the type in service, and not to compare, unless they were designed to the same specification. Some aircraft were better than others from a technical view. The combat records are seperate from that, and stand on their own merits. While I enjoy veteran's recollections, I am more of a database nut, and would prefer to have the definitive type history of the Halifax with every serial listed and history and fate of each, before putting a book of crewmember recollections on the shelf. But thats just me.

Lets continue this thread!

Follow Ups: