WIX Archives

Re: Merlin Parts list & statistics

Posted by AndyG on Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:08:31 PM

In reply top Merlin Parts list & statistics posted by Scott WRG Editor on Sat Apr 10, 2004 02:38:31 AM

Scott,

Yep you really need proffessional help. What with Olivier and his thurst for tyre tread patterns and all.

A good starting place for merlin info:

I have quite a few of The Rolls-Royce Heritage Trusts A5 sized books which cover various aspects of their aeroengines and applications.

One you might consider is the titled "The Merlin 100 series - the ultimate mililtary development" It has about 230 pages of very detailed drawings, sections, assemblies technical specifications, photographs, modification histories, power & performance data/tables, tables of all the marks of merlin and their application including civilian derivatives. It is a very good book indeed.

From the same series also consider "Rolls-Royce and the Mustang" which covers the history of how the Merlin found its way into the Mustang and transformed it considerably to say the least, good old British inginuity at its best ;-)

Another one which is very good is "Rolls-Royce Piston aeroengines - a designer remembers AA Rubbra. Technical biographies of a whole host of Rolls piston engines which the designer was involved with.

The one on the Crecy is very interesting too sadly arrived at the same time as the Gas Turbine was making its mark.

I find ABEBOOKS.com an excellent source of old pre-war aeroengineering books and tech publications. It's search data base comprises hundreds of old book sellers world wide. If you ever see a book on ebay you want, search ABEBOOKS first and you will probably get it cheaper and have about five to choose from.

After just browsing my aviation book collection I have just realised I may need proffessional help too!!

Follow Ups: