WIX Archives

Re: Me262 corrections

Posted by Russ Snadden on Thu Apr 08, 2004 04:49:05 AM

In reply top Re: Me262 corrections posted by Dave on Wed Apr 07, 2004 07:22:42 AM

Hello Dave!

I was unaware of this website until I received a recent missive from Paul Coggan. (An e-mail to Paul/Mick Oakey/Aeroplane Monthly would have found me, though.)I seemed to have caused quite a stir with my attempts at research.

I found your submission very interesting, I have to say, and anything that can be trawled from the past will help arrive at the true history of 112 372. So, perhaps I should refer to your msg as I reply...

Firstly, I am quite prepared to accept that Gelbe 5 as captured at Fassberg was W.Nr. 111 007. The only photograph I have of it showing the number, published by the late Jet & Prop mag., displays a very blurred third digit. In common with the publisher, I took this to be a '0'. Sorry!

Secondly, you are quite right that in my article I have offered no conclusive proof that the Hendon aircraft is 112 372. I think this will only be discovered as and when (if?) the aircraft is given a Smithsonian-type overhaul which it badly needs. I did say in my piece that, by a process of elimination, I conclude it to be '372. In my opinion, the only other aircraft it could have been was 500 210. If you accept that this aircraft became Air Min 52/VH509, Dave, there is no doubt that it was sent to, and scrapped in, Canada.

I notice that you put parenthesis around new shot when referring to the photographs I submitted to Aeroplane Monthly, by the way. It may clarify the matter if I tell you that the article was written some eighteen months ago and at that time I was trying like hell to find the truth in order that it could be included in Vol. 4 of Richard Smith/Eddie Creeks magnificent opus. Having told you this, can you now guess where the photograph used in the book came from?!

Now to the major points. When working on the aircraft some 35 years ago, I discovered, under doped fabric patches, the three attachment points (x2)for an ETC bomb rack. Also, in central channelling there was/is release mechanism, but there is no sign of any plumbing for fuel. This may simply mean, of course, that the latter wasn't fitted.I appreciate that, towards the end of the War, there was little, if any, difference between the A-1a and A-2a, but as it stands, the nose of that aircraft is A-2a and is built to the same standard as 500 200/Schwarze X of KG 51 presently in Canberra. If someone has found paperwork which declares that 112 372 was built as an A-1a, I would love to see it, therefore. All I seek, and have been seeking, is the truth,after all!

I had already been informed that '372 was captured in Schleswig, and that there was a possibility that it had belonged to NJG 11. I had not considered that the Red figure 2 on the shield may have been a Staffel Nummer rather than a unit mark, I have to say, but it is a very interesting lead for which I have to thank Gordon Permann of Stormbirds. It is also mooted that the aircraft may have been discovered in unserviceable condition at L?beck and flown to Schleswig after servicing. Given the quality of the painting of the figures 2, I very much doubt that these were painted in a hurry and who, in his right mind, would take time to do such work amidst the chaos and when it was obvious to all, not least the personnel of NJG 11, that the War was all but over. If the Shield 2 indicates service with that unit, I submit that it had been in there hands before the move to Schleswig. Given that all information points to a '262 having been discovered at L?beck and 'stolen' by personnel of NJG 11, might I suggest, rather, that the aircraft MAY have been 500 443 which is also in the Schleswig line-up and is totally anonymous (no unit marks) other than a yellow Staffel Nummer 6 which has been altered to 5? I have absolutely no proof, but I think this to be the aircraft which more fits the bill. Over to you dedicated researchers!

I hope the above offers some food for thought. If anyone can come up with CONCLUSIVE evidence on 112 372, no-one will be more grateful than myself! I think I am safe in saying that I have been searching for the facts on this beautiful aircraft fro more years than most!

Follow Ups: