WIX Archives

Re: Gentex helmets

Posted by Randy Haskin on Wed Mar 31, 2004 08:06:19 PM

In reply top Re: Gentex helmets posted by Brad on Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:27:29 PM

I am not a life support technician, but I used to be a Life Support Officer and I wear a Gentex helmet every day, twice a day.

The outer shell comes in different sizes (S, M, L, XL), as does the styrofoam sizing insert.

When fitting, you will generally get fit to an outer shell that gives you the correct fit around the nape of the neck and does not obstruct your vision up in the brow area. Once you find an outer shell that is close, you'll get a styro insert that will fit more closely to your head.

It used to be that USAF helmets used a third fitting step -- the ThermoPlastic Liner, or TPL, to custom shape the helmet to each person's nooks and crannies in their head.

The last two squadrons I've been in, though, have foregone the TPL in favor of the Oregon Aero Zetaliner (which I HIGHLY recommend!).

Once the liner is fit, then there are further steps to place and size the earcups. Finally, the nape strap across the neck is fitted (although the most recent HGU-55 helmets have an integrated nape/chin strap which eliminates the need to fit the nape strap.

If you are interested in an oxygen mask, too, this is an additional fitting step to pull the straps that hold it in place into position, then tack them so they don't move and you get a good O-2 mask fit every flight.

See? It's that simple!

All kidding aside, if you want a helmet to use while flying, I recommend you just go to FlightSuits Ltd and let them build you a custom one -- it will be a LOT less painful than buying a used one on ebay and trying to get it fit up properly.

On the other hand, if you want a helmet with some service or combat history for the sake of a collection or display, ebay may be the place to go.

Regardless, I'd be more than happy to help you gather info or give you opinions on different aspects of HGU-55 pieces if interested.

Follow Ups: