WIX Archives

Re: Glendale AZ show, Chad update us! n/t

Posted by Chad Veich on Sun Mar 28, 2004 02:00:22 PM

In reply top Glendale AZ show, Chad update us! n/t posted by Stephen Rister on Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:42:35 PM

My pleasure Stephen! While certainly not among the best airshows in the Nation this one was still very enjoyable and not bad considering the location. I'm not much of an aerobatics fan but for those who are there were performances by a Pitts, an Extra, and a Sukhoi. The Red Baron Pizza Stearman squadron also performed. Warbird participation included the usual contingent of warbugs as well as the heavier metal I mentioned in my previous post. Sentimental Journey was in attendance along with the Spooky painted C-47 belonging to a local group. The B-17 looks as good as it ever has and particularly nice with the P-38 snuggled up on its wing! There was also a BAC Strikemaster and a Hawker Hunter added to the jet line up. The Hunter was overall blue with white trim and was absolutely stunning. I think all the jets with the exception of the F-86 were from nearby Deer Valley airport. There was considerable dead air time due to the unavailablility of the F-18 and Apache for their demos as well as cancellation of the five ship L-39/Mig-17 demo. I'm sure you all know by now of the loss of the Mig and pilot on the flight to AZ from New Mexico. Hopefully today's show will include a tribute to the pilot. Highlights for me included a very nice series of F-117 flyovers, aerobatics by Getch in the Sea Fury, and the F-15/P-38 Heritage Flight demo. Also, Bob Deford's replica Spitfire was a delight to watch perform and is nearly impossible to distinguish from the actual article in flight. With temps in the mid eighties and a slight breeze it turned out to be a really fine day for an airshow. Regards, Chad Veich.

Follow Ups: