WIX Archives

Re: restoration; conservation and 'stable'...

Posted by JDK on Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:50:23 AM

In reply top Re: restoration; conservation and 'stable'... posted by david j burke on Fri Mar 26, 2004 05:40:21 PM

: James - some would argue that the work carried out to the
: Spitfire I K9942 was restoration and very much not conser
: vation of the state that she was in when she left service.
I was talking about the Halifax. We don't have space here to discuss the whole of the RAFM's variable approach.

: As for the current condition of the Halifax - she will de
: teriorate if there are areas of bare or untreated
: alumininum . To see a prime example of this have a look at
: the B-17 around the cockpit. Whilst modern preservatives
: are good she would need to be submerged in LPS-3 to totall
: y arrest the effects of the U.K climate.
Of course. But relatively, she is in a good situation, and corrosion is as slowed as possible in an airframe on public display; in my opinion, at a negligable (recoverable if you prefer) rate. Compared to (say) the Bevereley, she is not on an 'at risk' list, which is an impression the understandably impassioned posts here sometimes give.
: My late friend was very much involved in the restor
: ation of the front turret and indeed the fund raising effo
: rts to get her restored. With a little more foresight she
: could have been up on her wheels by now. Whilst many would
: argue that she is a tribute in her current state I am sur
: e an equal number cannot understand why she is living in t
: he shadow of the Lancaster when she should be on an equal
: footing.
Quite. I'm not saying that there isn't a very good argument for a full restoration - there certainly is; but I'd rather see the Hampden, in ANY form, on display before the Halifax goes for a restoration or rebuild. That's my preference, and I'm not saying I'm right - but showing more of what they've got to the public should be a good thing. I don't know, but I'm sure, that the priority list for the RAFM, rightly or wrongly, has the Hampden higher as a priority. I agree the turret is a great bit of work and is most incongrous as it is.
Cheers
James

Follow Ups: