WIX Archives

Re: Latest Hali Pics Posted

Posted by Mike Henniger on Tue Mar 16, 2004 01:04:10 PM

In reply top Re: Latest Hali Pics Posted posted by James D on Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:48:05 PM

: Can you tell me where
: this particular example came from and what is its history?

I think you will find what you are looking for at...

http://www.halibag.com/

I heard a little more on the actual ditching last weekend. Apparently the tail gunner was knocked out on impact with the water. The life raft was supposed to deployed automatically, the the crew jumped into the water expected it to be there, instead of first checking to see if it was deployed. Realizing the raft wasn't there they opted to swim for shore which as it turns out was a mistake. The tail gunner woke up and check to see if the raft had deployed (apparently it was common for this autmatic feature to fail). When he found it hadn't he released it manually and it inflated in the water, but unfortunately it was upside down. Apparently the rafts were too large to upright by one man alone so he jumped onto the bottom, now topside, of the life raft and stayed there. Apparently he could hear calls from his crewmates and in the water, but couldn't do anything to help them since the gear (paddles) was now on the underside and unreachable. He was found the next day by fishermen.

Regards,

Mike

Follow Ups: