WIX Archives

Re: Inertia

Posted by steve on Wed Mar 03, 2004 06:46:39 PM

In reply top Inertia posted by bdk on Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:44:28 AM

:The biggest danger is clearly pilot error and the proximit
: y to the ground (i.e. flying into it). In that case, his e
: xcellence as a pilot would certainly be in question!

not a case of his skill as a pilot being in any doubt but even the best can and do make mistakes. Mr Hanna is one of the best in the business as we all know and has done a hell of a lot for Historic Aviation but look how close he is to DeCadenet and try and say that was safe.

As for the issue of height, i would say the primary issue/danger here is that a pilot would fly right on the deck aiming himself at a tv crew! At a time when the safety of Historic aircraft flying is constantly under scrutiny and accidents prompt wild accusations in the press (ie germaine greer and co), then such scenes, as amazing and watchable as they are, dont help.

I wouldnt suggest doing displays at 10,000ft, the implication that i would is unrelated to my comments. I made no mention of airshow displays, the way that airshows are run are done with safety in the foremost of the organisers minds and we are lucky to ahve such a healthy airshow scene. I wouldnt change the way displays are run in the slightest, the point here is that this was NOT an air display and was a piece of flying done for a wow factor as a piece for a production. This piece could have been done with a more height between the Spit and DeCadenets skull.

best regards

Follow Ups: