WIX Archives

Re: Spitfire TE330

Posted by GMO on Sun Feb 15, 2004 02:13:18 AM

In reply top Spitfire TE330 posted by Ryan Harris on Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:17:33 PM

Hi Ryan,

Spitfire TE330 was released from USAF Museum, Dayton to World Wide Aeronautical Corp. in exchange for a Boeing P-26 'Peashooter' built to immaculate original standard by Bill and Mike Hodson (using some original parts). Classic Aircraft Sales (in conjunction with Classic Wings magazine) were marketing the Spitfire on behalf of Bill and Mike Hodson (WWAC). Initially it looked as though the aircraft was Australia-bound but the would-be owner bought a P-40 instead so the Spit (which was cosmetically pretty tidy - a time capsiule but with old magnesium rivets falling on the floor) was back on the market. CAS sold it to Slade who was going to have it restored by the Subritzky family in Auckland. Work was going well for a while but the arrangement did not contuinue and Subritzkys acquired the aircraft outright and continued the work (to a very high standard). TE330 is now structurally complete and sitting in its hangar fully assembled awaiting engine and prop.
The aircraft has taken a little while and been through a few changes but is in excellent hands and it is hoped it will fly again this year.

Cheers,
GMO

: I was looking at an issue of Classic Wings that I have and
: I noticed an add for an aircraft shipping company and in
: it was a photo of Spitfire TE330. The registry says she is
: being restored in Australia but in the photo she looked g
: reat.
:
: Is there any news on her?

Follow Ups: