WIX Archives

Re: Bristol Bolingbroke cockpit sections in Canada

Posted by Cees Broere on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:23:22 AM

In reply top Re: Bristol Bolingbroke cockpit sections in Canada posted by Dave Robinson on Fri Feb 13, 2004 09:10:13 AM

Hi Dave,

Don't worry, the Halifax cockpit project is no. 1 and
will always stay that way, but the Blenheim has also
been one of my favourites since reading the book by
Graham Warner about the restoration. And a friend of mine
has some very good contacts with an international transport
company. The problem of course is getting the cockpit first
and if possible for a reasonable price for such a poor soul as me.

I know about the Boly that CW has been advertising for sale for years but I don't have the cash, besides I am only looking for a cockpit section instead of a complete airframe.

The undercarriage leg I told about is from Kermit Weeks'his Tempest and is still located at the TU at Delft where the fuselage also came from. The museum at Deelen and named DAEG did have a Typhoon fin on display (from Brian Barnes I think on loan, you know him) don't know if they still have it. This museum also has the large fuselage section from the Stirling found near Arnhem a year ago.

We do have an undercarriage leg from a Typhoon on display at our museum Fort Veldhuis and it was trawled up from the norht sea near the IJmuiden area. Some mainspar remains are still attached to it. The leg is in reasonable condition but the mainspar is close to dust.

I have never heard of a Tempest tail but that doesn't mean
it isn't there, I don't know everything. I remember having seen a Tempest wing/fuselage fillet recovered from the very north of Groningen (you cannot go more north than that).

Cees

Follow Ups: