WIX Archives

OT: Tyndall AFB Fly Over

Posted by Rob Mears on Wed Feb 11, 2004 01:26:32 PM

I saw my first active duty F-22 yesterday :)

Tyndal AFB is located along the coast just south of Panama City, Florida. I believe this is primarily a fighter base that is home to F-15 squadrons. I had just crossed the bay bridge and was enjoying the view of the lagoon through the palm trees when lo & behold an F-15 and F-22 passed right across my windshield on their formated turn to final. They couldn't have been more than 200' AGL right over the palms. What a wonderful sight, and an excellent study of the differences between the two aircraft. I pulled over at the park next to the lagoon and watched the pair do touch & go's over the lagoon for another thirty minutes or so.

I believe the F-22 finally went into active service this past November. There were a total of five F-15's in the air doing T&G's but only one F-22. I suppose they are just beginning the slow process of transitioning into the new fighter. It's definately a beautiful shape, although it did not detract any from the classic and still beautiful lines of the F-15. An excellent bonus to my work day :)

Follow Ups: