WIX Archives

Re: NZ Corsair arrives home !

Posted by Rob Mears on Tue Feb 10, 2004 02:02:48 AM

In reply top NZ Corsair arrives home ! posted by Dave on Tue Feb 10, 2004 01:05:00 AM

Man that's an excellent piece of news :) I've often pondered what it would be like to have this plane return to New Zealand.

I'm not sure if Jack Asplin is still around, but it might be a great opportunity to invite him to the Wanaka show to see one of his old "derelict" Corsairs back in action. I wonder what he would think about the value of these planes today versus their worth as scrap back in the 1950's ;) A half-century's time probably doesn't lend too much value to hindsight, but still the thought of thirty-two FG-1D's sitting in one's back yard at today's prices is probably enough to make anyone cringe at the decisions of the past. Of course, had he not exercised enough insight to set this particular plane aside, it wouldn't be making the trip back to New Zealand today to the delight of so many.

Maybe someone could research who the members of the Waikato Aero Club were back in 1962 and invite them to see their old project plane beating up the skies in all its glory.

Wish I could be there!

Follow Ups: