WIX Archives

Re: Spitfire Landing Accident

Posted by D Fisher on Tue Sep 11, 2001 01:47:36 PM

In reply top Spitfire Landing Accident posted by D Fisher on Tue Sep 11, 2001 01:41:03 PM

Tuesday, September 11, 2001
Rough landing for Potter
Cognos founder unhurt as Spitfire landing gear fails

By ANDREA LANTHIER, Ottawa Sun

COGNOS founder Michael Potter averted tragedy yesterday when the landing gear on his classic WWII airplane failed, sending his Spitfire into a dramatic skid across an airport runway.

"It was a good flight but then when I landed the gear collapsed beneath me," said Potter, who was enjoying a leisurely flight over the city before the rough landing.

After successfully easing his plane onto Runway 25 at Ottawa's Macdonald-Cartier airport, the landing gear folded back into the body of the aircraft, sending it into a spark-filled skid.

"It's actually surprising how easy it was, it skidded and landed on its belly," he said. "There's certain things you can do when something like this happens, like shut off the electronics and the fuel, but that's it."

The bumpy landing snapped the ends off the four blades of the propeller, scratched the undercarriage of the sky blue plane and damaged its landing gear.

Emergency crews were dispatched to the scene but were unnecessary. There was no fire nor fuel leaked. Potter walked away slightly shaken but unhurt.

Airport traffic was rerouted for two hours as crews cleared the scene and cleaned the runway from debris.

NAV Canada spokesman Louis Garneau said the airport rarely sees such incidents.

"In Ottawa, I can't recall the last time this happened. It's a rare occurrence," he said.

A Transportation Safety Board representative was to arrive from Toronto this morning to investigate the incident. The plane will be examined for mechanical problems, a spokesman said last night.

Potter, who has been flying for more than 30 years, is known in the Ottawa area for his unique collection of classic planes. His Spitfire is a favourite among the four he often flies in local airshows. The classic is one of only 50 in the world and was made in 1945 just after the war.

This isn't the first time the Spitfire has caused problems for the former head of Cognos. The plane had engine difficulties two months ago, when Potter made an emergency landing in Gatineau.

"With older airplanes, you can have problems," he said last night, adding he plans to return to the skies soon. "I wouldn't hesitate."

The crash is an unwelcome addition to Potter's troubles. He is in the midst of an expensive divorce with wife Alana Kainz, who is demanding a lump sum payment of $15 million and monthly payments of $300,000.

"It's been a bad day," he said, later adding, "I need a beer."

Arguably one of the most famous and remarkable airplanes to fly in World War II -- and one of the most effective fighters of its time -- the Spitfire became the stuff of legends.

Designed and crafted by the British, the sleek and graceful plane has been credited with deciding the outcome of the Battle of Britain and changing the course of World War II.

Easily recognized by its sleek design and unique, thin, oval wings, about 22,500 Spitfires flew in World War II and afterwards.

Some Spitfires, like Potter's, have been lovingly refurbished and rehabilitated by classic aircraft lovers and still fly today.

Follow Ups: