WIX Archives

Which Magazines ....?????

Posted by Dave on Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:50:20 PM

Now that Warbirds Worldwide is sadly no longer with us - I am curious to know what
publications all you warbird / vintage aircraft fanatics are reading ?
I doubt any one would disagree that the WW Journal was the most in-depth and
factual publication around on the subject - so what is taking up the slack for you ?
I personally have / had been a long time subscriber to ?Warbirds Worldwide? , ?Flypast?
and ?Classic Wings? and at one time to the U.S. magazine ? Warbirds International ?
I do buy the occasional copy of ?Aeroplane Monthly ? and my friends around the
globe send me an occasional copy of their local magazines [ Jet & Prop , Flugzeug
Classic from Germany , Aeroplan from Poland etc] .
My reason for subscribing to ?Flypast? is because of the frequency and the news pages
.... in my opinion the news section is better than Aeroplane Monthly - although the
historical articles seem better in the latter !
?Classic Wings ? is outstanding and over the last few years has increased output from
four to six times a year [ that is , if the editor is not bogged down in airshow
preparations ;-0 ] . Content is a little more varied than the WW Journal was and the
subjects are now more global orientated than previously when it was mostly
concentrated on the very active vintage scene ?Down Under ? . There is always
something within its pages that seems to escape the ?major? magazines - and that is
something not easily achieved ! Being from N.Z. you may think I am a little biased - I
suppose I can?t honestly deny it ;-)
The U.S. magazines - well at the risk of upsetting or friends there - I find them quite
poor ! They do have some very nice air - to - air photo sorties , but the information
contained within is sadly lacking in substance with scarce attention to detail . Of course
the U.S. has a large population of vintage aircraft - but the magazines seem very
reluctant , or unable to , look beyond their own borders with any degree of
accuracy......
Anyway - I would like to know what you guys think , and why ?

regards

Dave

Follow Ups: